Most of us have seen the criteria for effective goal-setting. You know, goals must be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic—all with a targeted time frame for getting there.
To be honest, I can’t say I’ve experienced many of those! I mean …
- I didn’t set out to marry the perfect woman for me, but it happened.
- I didn’t set out to have 7 great kids—responsible, kind, non-entitled, hardworking—but have been blessed with them anyway.
- I didn’t set out to “make it” as a keynote speaker, but I guess I have.
- I didn’t set out to be debt-free, but we’ve been blessed. Much credit goes to Larry Burkett and Rob Blue, whose teachings we employed 25 years ago. (Yes, all of you debt haters, before Dave Ramsey!
- Karen and I didn’t set out to write a parenting book, but—phew!—we got it done.
- And, I admit, I didn’t plan to lose 43 pounds since April 11, 2012—but they’re gone.