The Outstanding! book explores what it means for an organization to be outstanding.
But what exactly makes a co-worker outstanding?
People described as “outstanding” by on-the-job colleagues have many attributes. After we provide 5 below, please add to our list!
1. HUMBLE: Self-deprecating humor, takes no credit for wins, downplays their strengths. Acknowledges it’s a “team effort.”
2. ACCOUNTABLE: Quick to own mistakes and failures with little to no blame and finger-pointing. And definitely not a whiner! (See the QBQ! book)
3. COLLABORATIVE: Don’t have all the answers, know they can’t do it alone, and open to ideas they did not generate. Shares AND listens.
4. DECISIVE: No “paralysis by analysis” here. Flexible, but not wishy-washy. Possesses opinions that are thought through.
5. ENCOURAGING: Praises people, provides positive feedback, and slow to criticize. Lifts others up with their words.
We all know people who are hard to work with, right? Then we know “the good ones” – our OUTSTANDING peers, partners, and co-workers.
How wonderful it is to work with people like this.
How exciting—and worthwhile—to be a person like this!
So, go forth and be outstanding today!
Which of our 5 attributes do you need to develop next?
What attribute or two would you add to our list?
Share below or on our new Be Outstanding! Facebook page.
Miss this one?: Great Dads Are Great Teachers